Healthy Eats: Kale & Lentil Wrap
I am always, and I mean ALWAYS eager to eat some kale. I started mixing kale & lentils a few weeks ago when I was trying to come up with some dinner ideas that didn’t include dairy, and I have been craving these wraps at least once a week since. They are perfect for easy and quick lunches and dinners, they have a comfort-food taste to them but they are still tremendously healthy. Dig in!
- 1 can of lentils
- 4 large kale leaves, chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 whole wheat tortilla shell
- 3-4 spoon-fulls of hummus
- 1 dash of olive oil
- To taste: chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper
- Optional: dash of cayenne & nutritional yeast
- Take a frying pan and put it on medium heat. Add the dash of olive oil to the pan. When hot, add the finely chopped garlic and turn the heat to low to keep the garlic from burning.
- Open & drain the can of lentils and add to the pan. Mix the lentils with the garlic and turn the heat back to medium.
- Continually stir the mixture while adding the child powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and (if you would like) some cayenne and/or nutritional yeast. I usually add a sprinkle of each and then mix well.
- Let the mixture sit for around 2 minutes, stirring if it looks as though it may burn, before adding your chopped kale to the pan.
- Stir the kale into the mixture and let sit for another minute or two, until the kale has wilted and the whole dish is steaming.
- Lay out a tortilla and put the hummus in the middle. Then turn off your pan and ladle 2 large scoops of your mixture into the tortilla and roll it up.
- I personally love to use my handy foreman grill to get my wrap grilled up, and I will often dip my wrap in salsa or guacamole if I have it around the house. But eating the wrap plain is still delicious and it is fantastic cold as well!
I will sometimes add chopped tomatoes if I am going to eat the wrap right away. But if I plan on bringing it for lunch I will try not to add any ingredients that contain lots of water, the wrap can get soggy!
I also love putting the kale & lentil mixture over rice for a larger dinner. The options are pretty endless once you have the kale & lentils in the spices.